Monday, April 13, 2009

THE NEW "FIRST DOG"

Here’s something you’ve never seen on my blog before… yes, that’s right, a post about a DOG! No, I haven’t lost my kitty mind or become soft on doggie-ism. However, in the spirit of bipartisanship, I want to send a big meow out to the Obamas’ new puppy, which Sasha and Malia named Bo.

As you may already know, Bo is a Portuguese water dog, which means that his breed is trained to jump into the water and retrieve things… something a cat would NEVER do, obviously. Originally, President Obama intended to get a rescue dog, but the girls wanted a Portuguese water dog and pups of this breed are rarely available as rescues. So, the Obamas accepted Bo as a gift from Senator Ted Kennedy and will, instead, make a generous donation to the District of Columbia Humane Society.

Now, since Bo is just a puppy, and since all dogs tend to be rubes regardless of their stature, I’d like to offer him some tips from the feline perspective…

  • Don’t bite the president
  • Don’t lift a leg on the corner of the desk in the Oval Office
  • Don’t get doggie hair on important diplomats
  • Don’t eat Sasha and Malia’s homework
  • Don’t beg at state dinners
  • Don’t growl at Secret Service dudes
  • Don’t track mud in from the Rose Garden
  • And for God’s sake, DON’T hump the legs of female world leaders

That being said, Bo, I wish you a long and happy life as “first dog.” And the next time I’m in Washington, to show you what a good sport I really am, I’ll let you chase me under the bed in the Lincoln bedroom.

3 comments:

Pinky Ash and Boo said...

The new 'first dog' is a cute one. We hope the girls enjoy him.

Gattina said...

I didn't know that the Obama kids finally got their dog ! and he also has white socks like the Clinton cat! And Arthur wanted to become first cat ! A white cat in a white house would have been nice, lol !

Fred said...

I wonder if the White House chef cooks for the dog, too.