Thursday, October 7, 2010

In Defense of "Crazy" Cat Ladies

I’m sure I don’t need to tell you, fellow cat, that humans are an endless source of amusement. Humans are just so much fun to manipulate, cajole and mess with, that we cats just can’t help ourselves… I know I certainly can’t. Yet, there’s one sadly abused and misunderstood group of humans that deserves some slack and possibly even a little extra kitty love. Yes, that’s right… I’m talkin’ about “crazy” cat ladies.

First, let me state that a human can never have too many cats… with two very important caveats. One is that all cats, no matter how many, be well-treated, well cared for and loved, and two, that the homestead is kept clean and doesn’t smell like… well, like cat. If you’re a human and can adhere to those simple rules, you are welcome (by my official decree) to have as many cats as you want… within reason, of course. You don’t want to take on more cats than you can comfortably accommodate and take care of properly. In other words, you don't want to become a cat hoarder.

Now secondly, I strongly object to the use of the word “crazy” to describe humans, especially women, who love their cats pretty much to the exclusion of all else. There’s nothing crazy about loving cats… in fact, if you ask me, it’s one of the major signs of sanity in humans. And, hey, if a person happens to be a little on the obsessed side about their feline companions, so what? Believe me, it’s better to be obsessed about cats than some of the other things humans get fixated on. Humans do many things that are genuinely wacky, but loving cats too much is not one of them.

So “crazy” cat ladies, if you get along with cats better than other people, so be it. If you want to be buried in cats while you sit on the couch and watch TV, more power to you! And if you can’t resist giving a good home to just one more cat in need, you are, in my estimation, an exceptional human being. Cat ladies rock!

8 comments:

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

WOOOO HOOOOO!!! Yes!!! "Cat Ladies Rock!!"

If I had a house instead of a condo I would have at least 2 or 3 cats...unfortunately we are only allowed 2 pets here, so we have one cat and one insane Sheltie.

Cat Chat http://opcatchat.blogspot.com

Katnip Lounge said...

Well, Hubby and I are owned by 12 of the wee beasties, with another soul living outside but too feral to approach. I'd have to say we are at our limit...but oh it's such fun to live with all the different fursonalities! I wouldn't trade one of 'em for a People. Ever.

T said...

I prefer to call myself a CAT WOMAN...like in the movie/show :) Sexier for sure!

Lookie Lou TPPC.tv said...

We love your blog! We are going to feature you this week in Pet Blogger Support! You will see the post and trackbacks shortly! Congratulations!!

Chesney Cats said...

Mama doesn't care if people call her a crazy cat lady, she just says , "yes & d*mn proud of it!".

Catherine said...


People Judge. But I found that once you get a cat lady rep in the neigborhhood; things get out of control quickly. I've come home to boxes of kittens left on my porch, opened the door to begging pleading desperate people hold adorable starving abandond animals, and those that move and figure the cat lady will pick up the slack. If I was into taking them to the pound, or leaving them abandoned, I wouldn't have the rep in the first place. Well I ended up taking to many ..which is extremely easy to do in a one bedroom apartment.

Anonymous said...

Hurrah, that's what I was looking for, what a information!
present here at this blog, thanks admin of this web page.

Feel free to visit my web blog - buy hurricane windows

Unknown said...

that means you are catty women. :) Adopt a dog